Katie Werts
Director of Planning and Development
1512 Martin Street Newberry, SC 29108

1512 Martin Street
Newberry, SC 29108
(803) 321-2166

Newberry County Zoning Code


The Planning & Zoning Department is available to assist the public in obtaining information regarding use and physical development of land in the county, and some municipalities, and to review the development plans for conformance with the county's Zoning and Land Use ordinances.

We are open Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm except on official holidays. We are in the 'old Ag building' at 1512 Martin Street which runs parallel to Main Street between Calhoun and Lindsay Streets in historic downtown Newberry.

We accept cash or checks for payment. We can conduct our business remotely, however, not so efficiently as in person.

We process applications for zoning permits, Certificates of Compliance, variance requests, special exception requests, change of zoning district requests, administrative appeal requests, RV permits, letters of verification for zoning, etc.

We enforce the Zoning and Land Use Ordinances and the DHEC StormWater Management Code for the county.

We provide administrative support for the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Joint Planning Commission, the Town of Prosperity and Town of Little Mountain zoning requests.

We also stamp plats for compliance with zoning minimum requirements prior to recording at the Clerk of Court Office.

In accordance with the South Carolina Local Government Comprehensive Planning Enabling Act of 1994, this office updates the Comprehensive Plan for Newberry County each 10 years with reviews at 5 years.

We do not consider any of your questions to be 'stupid'. The permitting process can be complicated and we can help guide you through this process, and perhaps help you avoid some unpleasant surprises.

For information on FEMA Floodplain Management (Chapter 152)or SC DHEC StormWater Management (Chapter 155) please review the Code of Ordinances at www.amlegal.com or call or email the Zoning office. 

Please call or e-mail us with any of your concerns.